go home. about me.      

Friday, June 29, 2012

Obsession : Hair

I've got to get something off my chest. I don't understand why most women are so attached to their hair. Crying when three inches are trimmed off, hissy fits when the tone doesn't come out "right", needing it long to feel like a "woman". I'm not one to understand this phenomenon. I've never been attached to my hair. It grows out of my head. I cut it off and more grows in its place. I bleach it until it falls out (well, I used to do that - my stylist has, thankfully, taken over the bleaching), perfect a shade of blonde and then have red put over it, spend months growing out my bangs and then get them again, get bored and put purple in it... It's just hair!

And yeah, I've had a couple experiences where I panicked about my drastic hair change. Once right after high school when I got my first pixie/faux hawk and I got a lot of rude comments about it, and more recently when I bleached my whole head and people could not let it go. But now I see that the only reason I freaked was because all the negative (and sometimes even positive) attention was making me self conscious. I love change. Change makes me happy. Every time I feel like my life is boring or out of control, I change my hair. It helps! I am in control of it! And, quite frankly, I rock a lot of hair colors and styles.

“A woman who cuts her hair, is about to change her life.” - from the movie Coco Before Chanel

In honor of this venting and realization, I went through Facebook and made a collage of a bunch of hair styles I've had over the past few years. It's odd to see them all together like this. Unfortunately, I was late to the Facebook/photograph yourself all the time train and don't have any pictures of my high school Manic Panic days, but I think you get the idea.




What's your favorite hair style you've ever had? Have you ever craved a drastic change?

4 comments:

  1. Every hair style looks great on you! My favorite hairstyle is when I have long hair. I've chopped it off before, but it just doesn't fit me. I'm always tempted to cut my bangs too, but they don't fit my face either! Your face is perfect for all hairstyles!

    I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a liebster award. :)
    http://littleredbowtalk.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the different hair pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had hair down the middle of my back AND I have had my hair pixie cut! My mom is a hair dresser so she always played with my hair and I let her practice. Hair grows back!

    Loving your blog and the whole cuteness of it. Do you mind if we sponsor ad swap? Your button is up on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only time I've ever freaked out about my hair is the day before my senior year of high school when I had a bad reaction to some "reddish brown" hair dye and turned it PUMPKIN ORANGE. I was MORTIFIED. Thankful, after two boxes of dark brown dye I got it to a deep red color... much better than the pumpkin.

    Otherwise, I figure hair is hair. It always grows out or you can dye over your mistakes. It's not that big a deal.

    ReplyDelete