go home. about me.      

Monday, October 15, 2012

Easy Vegetarian Pumpkin Squash Chili




Fall is really here in New England. Driving in the mountains last weekend we saw the foliage at it's peak. Today is wet, rainy, and cold and since I'm not leaving the house and I had a half a can of pumpkin puree left I decided to get creative. It was a good choice because this chili was delicious.

Let me start out by saying this - I am no cook. I am one of those "oh here's a recipe, but since I have none of these ingredients let's try it with this and cook it twice as long" kind of people. Don't get me wrong - my food is fantastic because, let's just say it, I'm a culinary genius. I just can't stand to read a recipe. Or remember how much of anything I put in. So please take my directions with a grain of salt. I came up with this because of what was in my pantry.




Ingredients:
Canned pumpkin puree
Canned diced tomato
Canned black beans
Morningstar meal starters crumbles
Diced butternut squash
salt, pepper, garlic, onion, etc. (See what I did there?)

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and wait until the squash is tender. Serve hot with crusty bread on the couch in front of a Gilmore Girls marathon.

FYI - It is probably wise to steam the butternut squash before throwing it in the crockpot. After a few hours I was starved and ended up eating a bowl and picking around the not-quite-ready squash cubes. Also, be generous with the pumpkin. Don't be scared. It's good.


1 comment:

  1. everyone's showing their favourite chili recipes! i guess its just the best comfort meal for this time of year :)



    rachael

    ReplyDelete